As a Pensions Consultant, you will be joining a pivotal team within Buck. At Buck, our people make the difference. Founded over 100 years ago, we help deliver on the promise of tomorrow...today. Our health, wealth, technology and consulting services allow us to deliver on the MANY needs of our clients by drawing on our strength, DIVERSITY, and experiences in creating outcomes.
Buck is an integrated HR, Pensions and employee benefits consulting, technology and administration service firm. Founded more than 100 years ago as an actuarial consultancy, we've evolved to serve organisations and trustees across the health, wealth and career spectrum.
We are currently operating in a hybrid working environment, meaning that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
What will you be doing?
- Providing support to other Consultants and working closely with the the wider Consultant support team.
- Ensuring statutory and non-statutory deadlines are met.
- Managing and coordinating preparation of Trustee Report and Accounts, TPR and Scheme Returns.
- Negotiating and agreeing provision of services and fee budget.
- Billing clients for fees and disbursements at regular (i.e. monthly) intervals – write up/down fee notes –v- time booked.
- Planning & scheduling client / trustee meetings – maintaining documentary evidence thereof.
- Overseeing production of all reports, documents and communications (written and verbal) with the client.
- Cross-selling Buck services to existing clients.
- Client manager for a portfolio of clients.
- Acting as Secretary to the Trustees.
- Ensuring clients “buy-in” to Buck at all levels and identifying the time to involve others both junior and senior staff.
- Consultancy as to scheme design and modification.
- Advising as to the effect of actual or anticipated changes in law, or employee benefit practice.
- Attending at regular meetings of the trustees, of the company pensions or benefits committees and of scheme members.
- Arranging Trustee training.
- Drafts basic explanatory literature for the scheme, ie, announcements and booklets, or commenting on drafts produced by others.
- Liaising with solicitors, insurers and others concerning draft deeds, rules and other Scheme documentation provided by them.
- Presentations to Scheme members, or potential Scheme members on relevant matters, at the request of the Trustees or Employer.
- Providing advice on unapproved retirement and death benefit arrangements.
- Identifying business opportunities.
- Keeping up to date with technical changes identifying the impact on the clients.
- Peer reviewing and ensuring own work is peer reviewed as appropriate
- Maintaining accurate time recording and charging to clients where applicable.
- Staying abreast with applicable regulatory bodies.
- Adhering to Corporate Policies and Procedures (CCPs).
- Reporting any suspected breaches to management/compliance department upon discovery.
What we’re looking for:
- Significant experience dealing with occupational pension schemes in a similar role.
- Proven experience providing trustee governance and secretarial support.
- Ideally experienced leading client relationship.
Ideally studying towards or having achieved APMI status.
Skills that will help you in the role:
- An all-round communicator
- Able to prioritise, organise and carry out tasks within deadlines
- Good numeracy and literacy skills
- Proactive and a team player
- Attention to detail
Why join Buck?
- Excellent client exposure from day one – we are looking for an experienced individual who is comfortable owning client relationship.
- Unrivalled Leadership team – Our Employee Benefits practice is led by a number qualified and experienced ‘’functional experts’.
- Our Pedigree - we are an industry leading mid-tier Consultancy with a history dating back over 104 years.
- Diversity of Clients – we work with leading UK and International corporations, across a variety of sectors and industries, where no two are the same!
- We are Client focused – unlike some of our competitors, we offer bespoke and tailored solutions to our clients, not a one size fits all solution.
- Your Career is our motivation – working as part of a small but highly collaborative team, you get the level of responsibility and client exposure rarely experienced working for some of our larger competitors. At Buck, we pride ourselves on providing excellent support at all level to drive your ambitions and career development goals.
- Our commitment to you as a Buck employee – we offer a competitive base salary & comprehensive benefits package; are committed to providing a highly collaborative, stimulating, and sociable working environment, with real commitment to flexible working and diversity & inclusion.